Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Dealing with d4 Deviations by John Cox (Read 18049 times)
Chess_Addict

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Dealing with d4 Deviations by John Cox
Reply #5 - 07/24/08 at 20:43:33
Post Tools
mangler wrote on 07/24/08 at 11:28:43:
And please note that neither book covers the Ponzanni.....

Just to be pedantic it's Ponziani with 1 n Cheesy

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Reply #4 - 07/24/08 at 16:30:11
Post Tools
John: could you please apologize to Anonymous for your gross oversight?

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #3 - 07/24/08 at 15:40:52
Post Tools
I don't think it matters so much since John Cox's book is now defunct, since I suspect all 1. d4 players will now be opening with 1. e4 with the hope of playing the Ponzanni with the recent discovery of the stunning 8. Nd2.

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

trw
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 07/24/08 at 14:27:00
Post Tools
mangler wrote on 07/24/08 at 11:28:43:

lol  Grin Maybe he'll ask about Nd2 in the KID

IP Logged

mangler

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 07/24/08 at 11:28:43
Post Tools
You have got to be kidding me. Cox makes it clear in the intro and on the back cover that his book is geared primarily for Nimzo players, with coverage for QGD players too. Here is the description from the publisher:

This book fills an enormous void in chess literature. There are a countless number of players who are very happy to defend the black side of the Queen's Gambit or play the Nimzo-Indian, Queen's Indian, Bogo-Indian or Benoni. However, more often than not they have been forced to muddle their way through a whole variety of annoying sidelines White has at his or her disposal, including the dreaded Trompowsky, the tricky Blackmar-Diemer Gambit and the tiresome Colle Variation. Now finally help is at hand! In this unique book John Cox reveals everything Black players need to know about all of White's offbeat tries, presenting Black with no-nonsense answers to every white option. Read this book and you will be fully armed to deal with anything that White can throw at you. In fact, you'll have all the White players running back to the main lines!

In case you did not notice, Dembo is coming out with a book on the Anti King's Indians.

http://www.everymanchess.com/display.php?id=470

Do you expect her to "update" Cox's lines for you?

IP Logged

Anonymous
Ex Member

Dealing with d4 Deviations by John Cox
07/23/08 at 22:11:58
Post Tools
In the book Dealing with d4 Deviations, John Cox does not cover d4 deviations for King's Indian and Grunfeld players saying that they "were well served by Joe Gallagher's Beating The Anti-King's Indians and I've no intention of trying to compete with that".

I find that to be a complete cop-out and totally unacceptable! Beating the Anti-King's Indians was 9 years old when Cox's book came out and their were some lines that needed an update. Cox should have dealt with deviations for King's Indian and Grunfeld playes because Beating the Anti-King's Indians is too dated!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo